Monday, February 6, 2012

Poetry Affects the Theatre?


POETRY AFFECTS THE THEATRE?



William Shakespeare's influence extends from theatre and literature to present-day movies and the English language itself. Widely regarded as the greatest writer of the English language, and the world's pre-eminent dramatist, Shakespeare transformed European theatre by expanding expectations about what could be accomplished through characterizationplotlanguage and genre Shakespeare's writings have also influenced a large number of notable novelists and poets over the years, including Herman Melville and Charles Dickens. Shakespeare is the second-most-quoted writer in the history of the English-speaking world after the various writers of the Bible, and many of his quotations and neologisms have passed into everyday usage in English and other languages. In particular, he expanded the dramatic potential of characterizationplotlanguage, and genre. Until Romeo and Juliet, for example, romance had not been viewed as a worthy topic for tragedy. Soliloquies had been used mainly to convey information about characters or events; but Shakespeare used them to explore characters' minds. His work heavily influenced later poetry.Shakespeare's standard poetic form was blank verse, composed in iambic pentameter. In practice, this meant that his verse was usually un-rhymed and consisted of ten syllables to a line, spoken with a stress on every second syllable. The blank verse of his early plays is quite different from that of his later ones. It is often beautiful, but its sentences tend to start, pause, and finish at the end of lines, with the risk of monotony. Once Shakespeare mastered traditional blank verse, he began to interrupt and vary its flow. This technique releases the new power and flexibility of the poetry in plays such as Julius Caesar and Hamlet.


What do you think of Shakespeare's poetry? How has some of his poetry influenced you?


Also here's a chance for you to maybe post some of your own poetry. Don't be shy! (: For example, Here's mine: Tell me what you guys think.
My Place
Words cannot describe the way I feel
But I'm hoping that with these words I write for you
That it will somehow heal
All the damage that I've done to make you feel blue

From the moment I laid my eyes on yours
I knew that a connection had been made
Feeling as if the waves had come crashing down on the shores
I knew that this feeling I had would never fade

I had never known a feeling such as this
Where I feel sparks soaring down my spine
Everytime we kiss
It brings such joy to my heart to know that you are mine

I never want my place taken in your heart
I want to belong to you forever
I've known that from the start
That with you, parting would be a never

Your beauty takes my breath away
The way your eyes stare into mine makes me tremble with desire
I always want you to stay
And continue to bring me higher

The feeling of your touch on me
Makes my heart race
Sets my soul free
And shows me my place 


Untitled
Days and weeks continue to go by
But still nothing can erase our goodbye-
from my mind. It haunts me everynight
Still making me doubt that you leaving was right

I still think of you everyday...
Not even bothering to keep my feelings for you at bay
People might think of me as some love struck fool
But I consider my love for you to be as precious as a jewel

As I spend my time writing this
Memories spent with you slam into my mind
A feeling as strong as this is not hard to miss
A love like ours is so hard to find

I pray everynight that you haven't found someone new
That even with our struggles we could somehow start anew
I can't just only be known as your best friend...
Could we please start our true love again?

As I said I'd much rather have bad times with you
Then have good times with someone else
Because only with you can I truly find myself
And have my life continue.