Sunday, April 29, 2012

Costume Design using recycled items - Reflection post

Everyday we throw something away that can be recycled to use again. Have you ever watched those shows where at recycling places they take soda cans, crush them, and make new ones? That's the beauty of recycling. In this group activity, we took garbage bags, wire hangers, toilet paper, tape, construction paper, and more items to make a costume. Before attempting this activity, I though the most difficult part to accomplish was trying to decide whose costume rendering we wanted to use and who to model it on. We had more boys than girls, so we decided to choose a boy to model this outfit. After completing it, I now think the most difficult part to accomplish was making the supplies look like a shirt, a pair of paints, etc. Honestly, it wasn't easy trying to make boxer briefs out of construction paper, and it surely wasn't easy to make socks out of toilet paper! The most important thing I learned from this activity is that you don't always need to use fancy materials to get creative for costume design. Forget sewing machines and silk, hands and recycled items can do just as good of a job if you put your mind to it! The most surprising and interesting thing I learned from this assignment is that the model that we chose (who didn't want to in the first place, but he got around ;) actually looked good with balloons on his head! I'm kidding, but really, the most surprising thing I learned is that I had a group with a lot of imagination and ideas which isn't easy to pull out of people all the time. I think we had a great costume, not as charming as others, but in my mind, we were champions! The aspect of my work that I'm most satisfied with is the fact we pulled off most of what was on the rendering onto the model itself. Everything wasn't exact, but we did manage to make it work. The aspect of my work that I'm least satisfied with is the lack of supplies we didn't use. I wish we used more and were more precise, but practice makes perfect! I had so much fun doing this activity, and seeing pictures of what people do with the same recycled items is incredible and it kind of inspires me that creativity goes a long way!