Sunday, April 29, 2012

Reflection Blog: Mariana- Duet Scenes

1.) Before attempting this activity I thought the most difficult part to accomplish would be actually making the piece funny. Stephanie has a lot of talent and I knew from the beginning that she would be a fantastic partner, but getting the audience to buy our act was a different ordeal. Furthermore, we both knew that we had to make the piece original because there would be others playing the same scenes. 2.) After completing it, I now think the most difficult part to accomplish was managing to choreograph the responses and conversation to seem like we were truly talking with one another. Stephanie and I created characters that were. It only interacting but that were also caught up in themselves -as any person does tend to be when they are socializing.  3.) The most important thing that I learned from this activity is that when you work with someone else in order to entertain others you are not just thinking about what you think will be funny and what the other person thinks is funny. You are thinking of what others will be funny, even if it isn't funny to you. And sometimes that requires doing things that I would personally find embarrassing. 4.) The most surprising thing I learned thing that I learned from this activity is that when I'm performing, I'm not me. I am not Mariana. I am the character I am performing. I don't feel shame or embarrassment because there's no need for that. I allow myself to believe the situation in my head and I play out like I'm supposed to. And I love it when people are amused by what I managed to create. I was absolutely pleased when the class began to try to do my "geek" voice from my first scene with Stephanie.  5.) The aspect of my work on this activity that I am most satisfied with is the unique story centered I managed to create alongside Stephanie around a script that was vague and had nothing to go on. I feel like what I managed to create really made an interesting story, especially with the plot twist that required NO WORDS.  6.) The aspect of my work on this activity that I am least satisfied with is my inability to memorize the lines of my second piece. I had forgotten to rehearse, and that week had been particularly strenuous on me and so I had absolutely forgotten to practice. I really failed on the second act and I could have done better, but I tried and carried on the scene.