Wednesday, May 30, 2012

4th quarter project reflection blog post

The Star-Spangled Girl by Neil Simon & Saint Joan by Bernard Shaw


1.) Before attempting this activity, I thought the most difficult part to accomplish would be how to block during my performance. I knew I had a habit of crossing my legs or twisting my hair, I didn't want to look weird just standing there and reciting my monologues. Once i tried to figure some blocks out, it was actually harder than i thought, I couldn't figure out where to put my hands or do with my legs either.

2.) After completing it, I now think the most difficult part to accomplish was memorizing the monologues. At first, I didn't think it'd be a big deal just reciting it but it was considering the fact that it had to be at least 5 minutes with a bunch of people staring straight at you. I'm not afraid to mess up, because it happens, but I didn't want to be one of those people that freak out in the middle of their performance and just stop. Even though I forgot my lines a couple of times, I just picked myself back up and kept going, which I think is the important part.

3.)The most important thing I learned from this activity is that I should never underestimate how difficult of easy an assignment is. It was harder than I thought to memorize and perform two monologues. I was proud of myself for at least getting up in front of the class and trying my hardest, considering the fact that i learned both monologues in two days. I learned that it is also important to not show that you messed up. Once you make it noticeable that you messed up at something, people become bored and frustrated and I didn't want to be that person. I noticed this when other people in my class messed up. They announced it to the whole class and I immediately got frustrated and bored.

4.)The most surprising or interesting thing i learned from this activity is how well i do something when i really try. If it were up to me, I never would of got in front of my classmates for any reason at all. Even though i forgot some of my lines performing my monologues, I think I acted pretty well. I think my projection was pretty good and I believe I stayed in character the whole time. I knew that I wouldn't of even dared to do that in front of anyone and I was proud I finally had the guts to do it.


5.)The aspect of my work on this activity that I am most satisfied with is my courage to stand in front of an audience and perform. I know I wouldn't of done it before I took acting class. I am also most satisfied with how I almost got all my lines correct, besides that I believe I stayed in character the whole time and I made my performance seem believable. 

6.)The aspect of my work that I am least satisfied with is my blocking. I know the lack of blocking took away from my performance because it didn't make it seem 100% believable without it. I am also least satisfied with how I forgot my lines in the middle of my monologue and I made it noticeable. Even though I mentioned earlier how important it is not to show you messed up, I admit I did and that it was a mistake I shouldn't of done. I know it would of got me the "A" I was looking for, but I'm fine with the grade I received.