Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflection Post( 4th quarter acting project) Stephany Parker

1. Before attempting this activity, I thought the most difficult part to accomplish would be..learning my monologues. I had to remember two of them, and they were pretty long. One of them being a page and half long, while the other was half a page. Commiting something to memory isnt as easy as it seems, the hard thing is actually becoming that character to perform that monologue with energy, not just seem like your reading lines.
2. After completing it, I now think the most difficult part to accomplish was getting myself into two different characters, from one second to the next. There was no pause in between monologues so their was really no time to prepare for a different role. Especially since my monoluges were completely different. In one i played a daughter of a country mother, and in the other..I was to be a homeless old woman with the worry of being thrown in prison.
3. The most important thing I learned from this activity is..to trust myself. I had the feeling of failure and and being worried if I messed up. I had to know that I knew my lines backwards and forward. It is not easy to get up in front of a class and try to convince them what type of person you are supposed to be when all they know is the title of the play. Plus, their was always that fear! Of not being able to convey what character I was playing. Now I know to be confident and not let my nerves or fears get to me.
4. The most surprising or interesting thing I learned from this activity is.. when you put your mind to something and commit to it, you will succeed. I didnt think that I was going to be able to memorize my lines in the first place, because it was so difficult to even find a monologue that I felt comfortable doing. But once I got them, i learned them until I was able to rehearse through the entire scene without forgetting one block position.
5. The aspect of my work that I am most satisfied with is,, the ability that I had to work on it during class, normally I wouldnt want to get up and move around, but for this activity it was a must! Learning the words was one thing but you also had to have some sort of blocking, which I did. That made me feel good about myself.
6. The aspect of my work that I am least satisfied with is,, my articulation. Sometimes my nerves do take a hold of me. And their isnt anything I can do about it. So when I spoke during rehearsals and my scene you could barely hear me speak. I know it is something I have to work at, but sometimes your nervous system takes over your whole body!